Monday, April 21, 2008

Reflection on Hotel Rwanda

Hotel Rwanda made me more aware of the power of media, how it can be used to control one’s mind. In Hotel Rwanda, Hutus used the radio station to announce false information about Tutsis. Hutus often referred Tutsis as cockroaches influencing the audience to believe that Tutsis are trying to take over Hutus’ power. The Hutus became more aggressive and built more hatred towards Tutsis. Such conflict led two ethnic groups in one country to fight each other. Not only was I shocked at how much media affected people’s minds but also was amazed at other countries’ response to Rwanda’s genocide. I realized that no one can know who to trust when it comes to war.
As European soldiers such as those from Belgium and France left from Rwanda, my heart sank in despair. How was it possible for soldiers who had weapons in their hands to leave Rwandans in a threatening, hopeless place? I clearly understood the soldiers’ duty to follow general’s orders, but I strongly disagreed on the soldiers’ decision to leave the country without solving a bloody, traumatic problem. After I saw United Nations pulling out of Milles Collines, I questioned the definition of United Nations. Isn’t U.N. supposed to keep “world” peace? Or simply, does “world” not include small country in Africa, Rwanda? I felt ashamed to be part of America. I thought America is supposed reach out to other countries and help them as much as it can; however, I found out the truth about America. America can be ignorant.

3 comments:

Jennifer Cho said...

I also realized, once again, that media has a strong power. People who have the power, controls the media and can manipulate things to gain their benefit. It was defnitely a sad situation to see when the strong countries left and avoid stopping the genocide. United Nation was lack of responsibilty and lost its purpose of maintaing peace.
You made me consider the things that I didn't look out for. Nice reflection:]

Suzie said...

I agree with you. As I was watching the movie and hearing the radio of Hutus talking resentfully towards Tutsis, I was so shocked. Media could be used in A bad way by just constantly helping build up hatred among Hutus. I also think it is so hypocrtical of United Nations to ignore the cruel genocide that happened in Rwanda. Well, Jean, I find myself agreeing a lot with you :)

Yoojung said...

As I saw the movie, I also realized the power of the media. I also noticed that the whole world can be very ignorant about serious issues going on the poorer countries like Rwanda. I agree with you that America and the other western countries were very ignorant and cruel to the Rwandans. I really hope this thing never happens again. ):